Local History – The Mansion Beckenham Place Park
(Key Stage 1)
Frances Burney, a renowned 17th Century Playwright and Lorenzo, an aspiring Italian artist, will give you a guided tour of The Mansion and its grounds at Beckenham Place Park.
Make sure you have pencils and sketchbooks at the ready for your very own lesson in portrait drawing.
What the experience includes
- Content that has been designed and written by SPLATT Theatre Company to cover curriculum thematically through literacy, drama, speaking & listening, geography/history and SMSC.
- Two professionally trained actors who remain in character for the duration of the experience.
- A guided tour of the mansion led by Frances Burney and Lorenzo – here the children will get the opportunity to explore a significant place in their local area and learn about its architecture, the people that lived there and its role in history.
- An interactive mini performance – Lorenzo needs the children’s help to paint a portrait of Frances, but nothing seems to go to plan as Frances is a rather tricky customer.
- The chance to sketch their own portraits.
- A picnic either in the grounds or the Dinning Room in The Mansion.
These are some of the benefits our Local History experience hopes to achieve for your children…
- Develops Speaking and Listening skills
- Creates for them a culturally enriching environment
- Inspiration for their own creative expression and development
- Encourage tolerance & Empathy
- Promotes growth of their self confidence
- Boost their ability to work cooperatively
- Helps with concentration
- Assists in the engagement of imaginative & possibility thinking
- An emotional outlet
The Mansion Beckenham Place Park, Beckenham Hill Road, BR3 1UH
You can travel to The Mansion-
By bus: The 54 bus route from Lewisham and Elmers End stops on Beckenham Hill outside the main gate or at the park entrance near Braeside. And the 358, 227 and 352 will get you within a 10-15 minute walk of the park.
By rail: Beckenham Junction, new Beckenham and Lower Sydenham Stations are also a 15 minute walk from the park entrance. Beckenham Hill Station is adjacent to the main Southend Lodge entrance. Ravensbourne Station is adjacent to the Crab Hill entrance and near the Ravensbourne Avenue entrance.Interested in one of our theatre performances? Call us on 020 3326 1160 for more information